Tuesday 11 March 2014

LEGO Architecture 21013: Big Ben Review.

Last week I had my 35th Birthday. Two of my many gifts from my family were a new camera and this LEGO set. So why not combine both and do a review of Big Ben using my new Olympus O-MD E-M5 camera. The camera took a bit of getting use to, and in the end I am very happy with today's shots. So Lets go take a look at the set.


Set Number: 21013

Theme: Architecture. 

Set Name: Big Ben. 

Part Count: 346

Minifigures: 0

Australian RRP: $49.99 

Featuring: Big Ben



This is the second time I have built an Architecture set and this range continues to impress me with its overall look and higher quality of box compared to the normal everyday sets we see day in day out. It is part of the "Landmark" series as apposed to the "Architect" series set that I reviewed previously. For a small box its quite heavy for its size.



The back has an image render of Big Ben, an actual photo of the real building and a close up of the clock face. 


This is what we get inside when we open the sleek black box. 4 unnumbered bags with specific parts in each one. A lovely looking instruction booklet with information on the structure and its history. (PDF)  Loose in the box there are two Black 6 x 10 plates.


A look at all the parts laid out... This took longer to set up then it did to build the actual model. Those damn 1x1 round brick were a nightmare, rolling around everywhere!


Here we have a step-by-step look at its construction. There is some great SNOT work in the build. I always like seeing a set with Tan Tiles in it too.   :-)


Here it is complete! The build took about 30 mins, that does includes the photographing of it.


Here are the spares. Not too many, but they're all really useful for adding extra details into your future MOC's.


Front view.



Back view.



Used my Macro lens for this shot.






Finally a scale shot comparing the finished model next to a minifigure.



I really enjoyed this small build. Like I said with the first architecture set, "I want to get more of this range" but some of the prices LEGO are asking for them just make me look the other way. The only place I have seen these available for purchase are in Myer and a handful of Toys r Us stores and both of these stores are not in a convenient location and whenever there is a sale I tend to forget all about them when I do get to a store. So that is another reason why I don't have very many of them.  This is a fiddly set for sure with all the 1 x 1 pieces and if you are anything like me, all tiles and plates must be perfectly straight!
The small size and the fantastic detail, you would be proud to display this in your home and it wont take up a lot of room like... say the 10234 Sydney Opera House.

 Thanks to my Mum and Dad for buying both the set and the awesome camera that took these amazing shots!

Thanks for stopping by and reading this new review. I hope you enjoyed it! 
 

Let us know in the comments below what your thoughts and opinions are on the set.

Until next time this is Tan Tile signing out...


No comments:

Post a Comment